The European Commission has rejected criticism from France over its participation in US President Donald Trump’s Peace Council initiative, stating that accepting the invitation did not require prior approval from the EU Council.
Dubravka Šuica, the Commission’s Commissioner for the Mediterranean, attended the meeting in Washington as an observer.
Commission response to criticism
Responding to reactions from Paris, Commission spokesperson Paula Pinho said the participation fell within the Commission’s competences.
Šuica’s attendance had been communicated in advance to the permanent representatives of the member states. Following the Washington visit, a formal briefing is expected. She is also due to attend Monday’s lunch during the meeting of the EU Foreign Affairs Council, where the Middle East will be on the agenda.
According to diplomatic sources, EU foreign ministers are expected to request clarifications from the Commissioner regarding her presence at the launch of the US initiative.
The Commission stated that 14 participants attended the meeting, including at least half of the EU member states, alongside European and regional partners.
Focus on Gaza and reconstruction
According to the Commission, its primary objective at the meeting was to contribute to discussions on Gaza, recovery and reconstruction, as well as coordination of international assistance. Šuica also held a series of bilateral meetings with key regional and international actors.
Commission spokesperson for Mediterranean affairs Guillaume Mercier said the aim was to enhance coordination and complementarity between the European Union and international partners.
“It is of utmost importance that we are at the table and engaging with all relevant regional and international actors,” he said, adding that the participation reaffirmed the EU’s commitment to a peaceful and secure future for Gaza and the Palestinian people, as well as support for a two-state solution.
French objections
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot stated that the European Commission did not have a mandate from member states to participate in the meeting.
“The Commission had not received a mandate from the Council,” he said, citing EU law.
In response, Pinho stressed that accepting the invitation was lawful and within the Commission’s remit. She clarified that Šuica’s presence did not constitute political endorsement of the Peace Council initiative.
“There is no approval or adoption of the initiative through the Commissioner’s participation. It is a clear message of our commitment to Palestine and the reconstruction of Gaza,” she said.
The Commission also noted that the display of the EU flag at the event was decided solely by the organisers and applied both to Peace Council members and other dialogue participants.
Source: CNA