The Metropolitan Police are speaking to officers who worked with Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor in connection with documents recently released from the Epstein files. The inquiry is focused on what these officers may have seen or heard while protecting the former duke.
Separately, Thames Valley Police will continue searches at Andrew’s former Berkshire home until Monday. The former duke was arrested yesterday at the Sandringham estate on suspicion of misconduct in public office and spent more than 11 hours in custody before being released in the evening.
In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said they were “assessing information” from the United States Department of Justice and working with international law enforcement partners. They emphasised that no new criminal allegations of sexual offences have been made in the UK and that their work is independent of investigations by other police forces.
Earlier this week, West Midlands Police, Bedfordshire Police and Essex Police said they were reviewing materials relating to private flights into and out of Birmingham, Luton and Stansted airports that were referenced in the Epstein files. Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing in connection with Jeffrey Epstein.
King Praised for Response
The Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch described King Charles III’s handling of Andrew’s arrest as “exemplary”. Speaking to Sky News, she said the King “set an exemplary example” by emphasising that no one, including members of the Royal Family, is above the law.
Badenoch noted the difficulty of balancing the protection of the family with the monarchy’s interests but added that “the monarchy is more than any one individual.”
The latest developments come after weeks of mounting pressure on the Royal Family. On 30 January 2026, the US Department of Justice released a new batch of Epstein court documents. Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor was later seen riding a horse in Windsor Great Park on 2 February.
The following day, Prince Edward, the King’s youngest brother, emphasised the importance of remembering victims during a visit to Dubai. On 5 February, King Charles III faced heckling in Essex over the scandal but did not respond. On 9 February, Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, issued a statement expressing concern for the victims.
The next day, Prince William declined to answer questions on Andrew while visiting Saudi Arabia. On 11 February, Thames Valley Police confirmed discussions with the Crown Prosecution Service regarding allegations against the former duke. The sequence culminated on 19 February when Andrew was arrested at Sandringham and later released.
Public Reaction
Some members of the public visiting Sandringham expressed concern about the conduct of the Royal Family. A dog walker told the Press Association she expected royal figures to “be honourable” and called the reports “stomach-churning.” She said the public no longer shows the same deference that existed during Queen Elizabeth II’s reign.
The situation continues to evolve as police investigations and reviews of the Epstein documents proceed across multiple forces in the UK.