IVF Scandal in Cyprus’ North: 30 Children Allegedly Conceived With Wrong Donors

Header Image

At least 30 children may have been conceived using sperm or eggs from donors their parents did not choose, the BBC reports.

 

Claims that fertility clinics in the occupied north used sperm or egg donors other than those selected by patients must be investigated openly, according to Republican Turkish Party (CTP) “MP” and former “health minister” Filiz Besim.

Her call follows a BBC investigation alleging serious irregularities in IVF procedures, prompting the UK Foreign Office to update its travel advice on fertility treatment and surrogacy in Cyprus.

Besim calls for transparent investigation

The BBC investigation was published on Monday and subsequently carried by several Turkish Cypriot online media outlets.

Besim noted that the BBC had previously reported allegations from families who claimed that sperm or eggs from donors other than those they believed they had selected were used during treatment. She said she had called on the “health ministry” at the time to investigate the allegations and inform the public.

Following the latest report, Besim again asked whether the allegations had been investigated, whether the fertility centres concerned had been inspected and how the procedures were being carried out.

She also questioned whether the implementation of the “law” governing the transplantation of human cells, tissues and organs was being effectively monitored and called for the findings of any investigations to be made public.

“The way to prevent serious allegations involving a small number of centres or individuals from damaging the reputation of the entire healthcare sector is not through silence, but through effective oversight, transparent investigations and accurate public information,” Besim said.

She added that the Turkish Cypriot administration and its “health ministry” had a duty to protect the rights of patients and healthcare professionals, as well as the credibility of healthcare facilities and the reputation of the breakaway entity.

Besim said the issue extended beyond allegations involving a small number of centres, affecting patient rights and the overall reliability of healthcare services.

BBC reports at least 30 affected children

According to the BBC investigation, at least 30 children, most of them British, may have been conceived through IVF treatment in the occupied north using sperm or egg donors different from those selected by their parents.

Half of the children were reportedly conceived following procedures at the Doğuş IVF Centre. British mothers featured in the investigation alleged that individuals at the centre misled them about the donor process.

The BBC also reported that Cryos International, described as the world’s largest sperm bank, has blacklisted the Doğuş clinic since 2016.

It noted that European Union laws do not apply in the occupied north, which is recognised only by Turkey. According to the report, fertility clinics there are loosely regulated and attract patients by offering lower prices, high success rates and a wide selection of sperm and egg donors.

UK updates travel advice

Following the BBC investigation, the UK Foreign Office updated its travel advice for British nationals visiting Cyprus, noting that surrogacy laws differ between areas controlled by the Republic of Cyprus and the occupied north.

The advice states that surrogacy is strictly limited to cases in which a woman is medically unable to carry a pregnancy. Court approval is required before any treatment begins, while financial compensation for surrogacy is prohibited.

“Intended parents and clinics may face criminal prosecution if they proceed without the appropriate approvals,” the advice states.

The Foreign Office warns that pursuing surrogacy in the occupied north carries risks because clinics are not regulated and no legal framework governs such arrangements.

“The legal transfer of parental responsibility can be complicated, as the birth mother automatically assumes parental responsibility. Obtaining birth certificates can also be complex and may take a long time,” it says.

The Foreign Office also notes that the British High Commission’s ability to provide assistance in the occupied north is limited.

British nationals considering surrogacy arrangements are advised to consult guidance issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and the Home Office, thoroughly research clinics and hospitals, and seek specialist legal advice in both the UK and Cyprus.

Citizenship and parental responsibility

Children born through surrogacy are not automatically entitled to British citizenship.

Parents wishing to take a child born through surrogacy in Cyprus to the UK must first apply for a full British passport for the child. The application may take a considerable amount of time and could face further delays when supporting documents have been issued in the occupied north, whose authorities are not recognised by the UK.

The Foreign Office also reminds British nationals that they may remain in Cyprus without a visa for a maximum of 90 days.

Its advice warns that fertility treatment in the occupied north carries risks because clinics are not regulated in the same way as those in the UK. Prospective patients are urged to conduct thorough research and consult information provided by the UK Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.

The Foreign Office further states that the authorities in the occupied north do not act on British court orders and will not provide the British High Commission with information about children who are subject to such rulings.

“This means that the British High Commission cannot ensure that these children are properly protected,” the advice says.

The updated guidance also reminds British nationals to avoid taking photographs near sensitive locations, including military buildings, warning that they could be arrested by the authorities in the occupied north.

Source: CNA

TAGS