War with Iran to End “Very Quickly,” Says Trump

Header Image

US president reiterates hard stance on nuclear programme while leaving open possibility of further military action

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that the United States “will end the war with Iran very quickly,” speaking to members of Congress at the White House.

At the same time, he stressed that “Iran will not acquire a nuclear weapon,” reaffirming Washington’s firm position on Iran’s nuclear programme.

“They want to make a deal so badly. They are tired of this situation,” Trump said, adding that Iran “has nuclear weapons in mind and we will not allow them to obtain one.”

The US president also argued that progress had already been made, stating: “We have done a tremendous job. I think we will finish this very quickly, and they will not get a nuclear weapon, and hopefully we will achieve it in a very good way.”

Possibility of new strikes

Earlier, Trump said the United States may need to carry out another strike against Iran, while suggesting that Tehran is under pressure to reach an agreement.

He also revealed that he had been just an hour away from ordering a new attack on Monday, adding that military forces were ready for action, with warships equipped with missiles and other weapons.

Trump insisted that the US military could launch “another strong blow” against Iran if necessary, while negotiations for a peace agreement continue.

Source: ERT