US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that American forces may still need to strike Iran again, saying he had been one hour away from approving a new attack before deciding to delay it.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said the planned action was postponed after Tehran submitted a new peace proposal.
“I was one hour away from making the decision to go today,” he said.
Trump again claimed that Iranian leaders were “begging” for a deal, but warned that a new US strike could take place within days if no agreement is reached.
“Well, I mean, a couple of days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week, a very limited period of time, because we cannot let them have nuclear weapons,” he said.
Iranian proposal
Earlier, Iranian state media reported that Tehran’s latest peace proposal includes an end to hostilities on all fronts, including in Lebanon, the withdrawal of US forces from areas near Iran, and compensation for damage caused by the US-Israeli war.
Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran was also seeking the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the naval blockade of the country, according to the IRNA news agency.
The terms do not appear to differ significantly from a previous proposal, which Trump dismissed last week as “garbage”.
Trump says Cuba deal is possible
Trump also said he believed a diplomatic solution could be reached with Cuba’s government and that Washington could help the country, whether or not there is “regime change” on the island.
“I think so,” he said when asked whether a deal with Cuba was possible. “Cuba is calling us. They need help. Cuba is a failed state. Cuba needs help and that is what we will do.”
Washington has described Cuba’s current communist government as corrupt and incompetent, while continuing to press for regime change.
Source: CNA


