Israeli naval forces have begun intercepting vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters, according to the organisers, as the convoy attempted to reach Gaza by sea.
The group said the interception was taking place approximately 250 nautical miles from Gaza and within Cyprus’ search and rescue zone. It said the convoy consisted of 52 vessels carrying more than 400 civilians from over 45 countries. The organisers said they had notified Cypriot authorities on May 16 of what they described as an “imminent risk” to international humanitarian workers expected to sail through the Cyprus SAR zone.
They called on the Cypriot government to uphold its international and European obligations and ensure assistance is provided to vessels in distress within the SAR zone. The group also claimed communications had been jammed and said civilians on board faced an imminent threat, allegations that could not be independently verified.
The case places additional focus on Cyprus’ role as the coastal authority responsible for monitoring its search and rescue area. The flotilla’s legal notice cites obligations under international maritime and human rights law, including UNCLOS, SOLAS, the SAR Convention, the European Convention on Human Rights and the ICCPR.
The Global Sumud Flotilla said the vessels had departed from Marmaris, Turkey, four days earlier as part of a mission to challenge Israel’s blockade of Gaza and establish what the organisers describe as a humanitarian corridor. In its press release, the group described the interception as “illegal” and said the mission was made up of unarmed civilians, including doctors, journalists and humanitarian workers.
The organisers also linked Monday’s events to an earlier interception near Crete, during which they said Israeli forces boarded civilian vessels and detained activists. A related land convoy, made up of more than 30 vehicles including ambulances and mobile homes, has been halted near Sirte in Libya, according to the group. The organisers claimed eastern Libyan authorities had blocked the overland route towards Rafah under political pressure from Egypt.
The Israeli Navy has begun to intercept the activist mission sailing to the Gaza Strip to challenge Israel's naval blockade. pic.twitter.com/YXeSwxPDOd
— Emanuel (Mannie) Fabian (@manniefabian) May 18, 2026


