The Veterinary Services said they acted immediately following confirmation of foot-and-mouth disease in Oroklini, rejecting claims by local livestock farmers that no containment measures were taken.
In a written statement, the services said that from early Saturday morning the two farmers whose samples tested positive were informed of the laboratory results and the procedures to be followed. They were instructed that no person should enter or leave their units and to continue caring for the animals until all legal procedures are completed.
“Reports of insufficient information do not reflect reality,” the statement said.
Instructions 'not fully observed'
Authorities added that the contractor responsible for managing animal by-products was notified to collect the animals using sealed vehicles and to apply full disinfection protocols. However, based on information received so far, it appears that instructions may not have been fully observed during the process. The competent authorities will proceed with necessary measures, the service said.
The delineation and control of the area was immediately activated in cooperation with Oroklini Police, the services said, noting that proper technical demarcation of the control zone was necessary before restrictive measures could be effectively implemented.
They also reminded farmers that basic biosecurity measures, including disinfection at entry and exit points, are a standing obligation.
Earlier, farmers in the area alleged that cases had been confirmed since Friday night and that no cordon had been imposed. One farmer said laboratory tests at 23:00 showed the animals were “100% positive”, adding that the animals were symptomatic and had lost their appetite.
“We are in despair,” he said, noting that they had recently invested millions of euros after joining European development programmes.