Greek Cypriot Negotiator Points Finger at Turkish Cypriots over Delaying Tactics

Menelaou accuses Turkish side of slowing developments, insists Nicosia ready to resume UN‑led talks on agreed federal basis. DISY's Neophytou warns open conflict with UN not advisable.

Header Image

Menelaos Menelaou (L) and his counterpart Mehmet Dana (R)

 

The Turkish side is slowing down developments as regards the Cyprus issue, Greek Cypriot negotiator Menelaos Menelaou said on Monday.

Speaking to CNA, he said: “The facts before us so far indicate a tactic of slowing down developments on the part of the Turkish side, as reflected in its difficulty to clearly and unambiguously reaffirm the agreed basis of a solution – a bicommunal, bizonal federation with political equality as defined in UN resolutions – as well in its failure to demonstrate the necessary will to make progress on confidence-building initiatives."

Her perspective, not ours

Invited to comment on an opinion piece by the UN Secretary-General's Personal Envoy on Cyprus María Ángela Holguín Cuéllar, Menelaou said this represents her perspective, "which we respect and it should be interpreted through the prism of neutrality pursued by the UN."

However, he added, "our own assessment of the situation is that the obstacles are due to the attitude of the Turkish side, and we are not saying this because it suits us or because we are interested in the blame game, but because this is the objective reality based on the facts."

He stressed that the Greek Cypriot side has never invoked Cyprus’ EU Presidency or the upcoming parliamentary elections as reasons for delaying developments. 

Ready to resume talks anytime

"We have repeatedly expressed our readiness to immediately hold the next expanded meeting (with the guarantor powers) under the UN Secretary-General, which had been decided would take place before the end of last year with the aim of resuming talks on the agreed federal basis while fully safeguarding the Crans Montana acquis (body of work)," he said.

The negotiator noted that despite the difficulties faced, "our approach is not to remain fixated on the obstacles, but to continue with a constructive spirit and determination in the effort to overcome them and to shape a tangible positive perspective – and this is also the message of the UNSG’s Personal Envoy."

Menelaou will meet this week with his Turkish Cypriot counterpart Mehmet Dana as part of their regular weekly contacts, in preparation for the meeting between President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Tufan Erhurman on February 24. The meeting will take place in the presence of the UNSG’s Special Representative in Cyprus Khassim Diagne at the old Nicosia airport.

UN envoy ruffles feathers

In her opinion piece published on Sunday, Holguín urged Cypriot leaders to prepare for formal peace talks to resume in early July, noting that no significant progress has been made on trust‑building measures promised last year.

She said the first half of 2026 is unsuitable for major developments due to Cyprus holding the EU Council Presidency and parliamentary elections in the south, as well as political transitions underway in the north following Tufan Erhürman’s election.

Holguín stressed that both sides must avoid creating new disappointments, end the blame game, and use the coming months to build trust through direct meetings and small joint decisions that show their “genuine interest” in resuming talks. In turn, this will show both communities that their leaders are willing to change the status quo for the benefit of all, she added.

The UN envoy said she will return to the island in a few months when she can help achieve a "specific step forward" and when the two sides consider the UN’s presence to be “useful” to reaching decisions.

In the meantime, she suggested the leaders prepare the ground for a resumption of formal talks in early July.

Christodoulides finds premise ‘laughable’

President Nikos Christodoulides responded within a few hours to the article saying he hadn’t read it but the notion that talks cannot resume because of EU or electoral obligations was “laughable”.

Neophytou warns conflict with UN not a good look 

According to a post on social media on Monday, former DISY leader Averof Neophytou said the president's decision to come into direct conflict with the UN envoy raises serious concerns about the outcome of the Secretary‑General’s own initiative.

"For years we had been calling on the UN Secretary-General to appoint a special envoy, and now we describe her views as laughable – and with a personal statement from the President, no less," he said. 

"Instead of working to open even two crossing points so that we can move toward a new international conference, we are attacking Ms Holguín. Do we not realise that this is leading us to a shipwreck? What exactly are we trying to achieve after 52 years? Instead of fostering prospects for dialogue, are we now entering into open confrontation even with the UN?" asked Neophytou. 

 

 

Comments Posting Policy

The owners of the website www.politis.com.cy reserve the right to remove reader comments that are defamatory and/or offensive, or comments that could be interpreted as inciting hate/racism or that violate any other legislation. The authors of these comments are personally responsible for their publication. If a reader/commenter whose comment is removed believes that they have evidence proving the accuracy of its content, they can send it to the website address for review. We encourage our readers to report/flag comments that they believe violate the above rules. Comments that contain URLs/links to any site are not published automatically.