The director of the Doğuş IVF Centre has disputed allegations featured in a BBC investigation, insisting that its procedures complied with the regulatory framework in the occupied areas.
The Turkish Cypriot “health ministry” says it is investigating the case and could facilitate DNA testing if formal applications are submitted.
Director disputes BBC investigation
Doğuş director Dr Şevket Alptürk described the BBC investigation into IVF practices in the occupied areas as “politically motivated”.
According to Kıbrıs Postası, Alptürk issued a written statement on Thursday afternoon that left several of the key questions raised by the investigation unanswered.
He said the centre operated under an “approval” granted by the 'health ministry' and that all its procedures complied with the relevant “laws and regulations”. He added that the procedures had been reported to the 'health ministry'.
“When the BBC’s reports are examined, it is clear that they have political motives,” Alptürk said.
Websites and Cryos correspondence disputed
Alptürk said some of the websites mentioned in the BBC investigation did not belong to him or the clinic.
He also claimed that correspondence concerning the Cryos sperm bank had been conducted through a website that was not associated with him. Neither he, his website nor the Doğuş centre had received any written notification from Cryos stating that the clinic had been placed on a “blacklist”, he said.
Alptürk also said he had not corresponded or met in person with the patients concerned, either through his website, online or face to face.
He questioned why the BBC had not disclosed the names of two other IVF centres that had also carried out procedures involving the patients.
Authorities consider DNA testing
Turkish Cypriot 'health minister' Hakan Dinçyürek told Kıbrıs TV that the allegations had been taken seriously from the outset and were being thoroughly investigated. He said the public would be informed of the findings.
Dinçyürek added that the 'health ministry' had been corresponding with the BBC for months regarding IVF centres in the occupied areas.
He said DNA testing could be carried out on children where there were concerns about the identity of a sperm or egg donor, provided that formal applications were submitted to the 'health ministry'.
Dinçyürek noted that the issue also involved legal and personal data considerations.
“You cannot conduct genetic testing on a child simply because a media organisation requests it, without the consent, complaint or request of the individual,” he said.
“This is a very serious matter involving personal data and bodily integrity. The ministry must receive an official written complaint or request for an investigation. We have also communicated this requirement in writing to the media organisation concerned.”
Dinçyürek added that all IVF centres operating in the occupied areas were subject to frequent and strict inspections.
Source: CNA


